Medical Office Building & Outpatient Clinic
One of Silver Hill Hospital’s medical office buildings that serve the clinical staff on campus as well as providing several group room/classrooms and serves the Hospital’s outreach community programs. The 5,400 square foot building is a classic 1950’s style structure that you’d expect Mike Brady to have designed. It is one story and emphasizes simple lines and natural materials.
Richard Turlington Architects Inc renovated the exterior to emphasize the original character by choosing a bold color for the wood trim and fascia which intentionally contrasts with the natural stone piers and walls. Since the building is located on a prominent peninsula that is bracketed by two historic stone bridges and the Silver Mine River, we introduced exterior building lighting to highlight the strong planar lines of the façade and allow the building to step into the limelight at night.
We holistically redesigned the entire interior of the building. We simplified circulation so staff and patients would know where they are inside the building at all times. We opened up the classrooms to take advantage of the views to the exterior landscape and adjacent Silver Mine River. The new layout improved efficiency without compromising usable area, and also allowed us to increase the office by a third. We introduced more natural light from overhead skylights and used warm LED lighting throughout so all the spaces no longer felt commercially flooded with fluorescent tube lights. The interior material palette consisted of a handful of materials; cherry wood, putty-colored walls, crisp white ceilings, a carpet that introduces a cross linear pattern and a natural-hued porcelain tile. The overall effect is a calming and quiet environment that allows patients and staff to communicate in an otherwise home-like setting.